Saturday 1 September 2018

Still Here!


 I'm Still here!

 I know its been a long time since my last post, I won't apologise as I have been busy just getting on with life!

Whilst I'm still currently on "watch and wait" Pseudomyxoma has been far from my mind. I continue to be well and I'm making the most of every minute of it! I have been on watch and wait now for three years or more and little has changed.

I continue with annual CT scans and bloods being taken to measure my tumour markers at the six month mark between scans.

The blood results have been OK but the markers are steadily on the rise-


Tumour Marker       2017                2018        should be less than
         
CEA                         4 ug/L                5 ug/L            5.00 ug/L
CA 19-9                 18 kU/L              20 kU/L          35.00 kU/L
CA125                     5 kU/L                6 kU/L          35.00 kU/L

This continues a trend from the 2016 results. Whilst both the CA19-9 and the CA125 markers are within the normal range the CEA is right on the top end of the normal range for 2018. Am I worried....? Not yet, whats to say the next results might not reduce? I guess I'll just have to wait and see. I suspect that the tumour markers alone are not something to be worried about and are only part of the diagnostics. The next CT scan will be the real test....

Talking of which, I now have a date; 19th October. Judging by my last CT I don't expect to hear of any results for around four weeks after the scan has been done. So that puts the date somewhere around mid to late November. Fingers crossed!

As I have eluded to above we have continued to get on with life. I continue to enjoy keeping fit although have suffered with my back again recently. So it looks like my running days are over, time for a road bike me thinks! I have continued to swim regularly and have enjoyed it very much. You may have noticed that I have created a "Club" on Strava for people with Pseudomyxoma to share their achievements.

We have been lucky enough to have some good holidays here in the UK and have been blessed by an amazing summer with long periods of hot weather. I continue to enjoy my amateur photography and film making. It satisfies my creative appetite! Here's just a few of my favourites!

   
                                          Ilfracombe, Devon.


                                         Newqay, Cornwall.
               

                                         Mousehole, Cornwall.                                      


So I plan to give you my next update after my CT scan and blood results have been issued some time in November. Hopefully the news will be good. As the saying goes for now I'll just "keep calm and carry on!".......





6 comments:

  1. Hi Dave, I just wanted to say thank you for your blog. I was diagnosed last year and am on watch and wait at the moment. I'm in good health at the moment but it's really helpful to read your description of the MOAS and its aftermath. Thank you so much for putting it all out there, good and bad.
    Good luck for the scan tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Clare,
      Thank you for your kind comments. I'm glad you have found the blog helpful. Watch and wait can be a nerve jangling time. I have been there for four years now, it gets easier, especially if you are feeling well! It's just the annual scans where the scanxiety kicks back in!
      Hope you have a great Christmas,

      Dave

      Delete
  2. Sorry but not speak English. Η σύζυγό μου διεγνωσθη με μια σπάνια ασθένεια λεγομένη ψευδομυξωμα περιτοναιου πριν από 4χρόνια τώρα υποτροπή της νόσου πέριξ του ήπατος υγρό στο porta and left gastry αρτηρία. Πιστευτετε ότι θα τα καταφέρει 2 φορά hipec and cuttaromiotic surgery?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, I personally have been through cytoreductive surgery twice. Initially in 2010 and again in 2012 after a reoccurrence. However, it would be wrong of me to comment on your husbands case. Each case is completely different and your husbands surgical team will asses him on where the reocurrance has occurred, how easy it is to treat and how fit and well your husband is. Having had the surgery twice now I can reassure you that I am fit and well and leading an active live even though I have experience yet another reoccurrence and I'm currently on watch and wait.
      I wish you and your husband all the best with his ongoing treatment.

      Kind regards,

      Dave

      Delete
  3. Just wanted to wish you happy holidays from across the pond!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Nancy,
    I hope that you and the family are well? We are well this end and busy enjoying life!
    I hope that you all have a wonderful Christmas and a happy, healthy New Year.

    Dave

    ReplyDelete